Sunday, February 6, 2011

Reflecting

So, this is my first blog about, anything really... I currently work for a facility that helps people with disabilities. We have 66 residents who live at the facility and I have found that since I graduated from UVU with my Bachelor’s I really like this work. I am the program director and I love working with the individuals we care for. I feel like my desire for this type of work comes from 2 different things...1st would be the love I have for my younger brother Tanner!! He is probably one of the most amazing people I have ever met. He has blest my life in more ways than I can ever explain. My father and Step mother at the time, Ramona, adopted him when I was 14. He was so tiny and seemed so fragile, but he thrived and is now an amazing individual who is independent and can do many things on his own. He is what made my life bearable and I cannot imagine him ever now being a part of my life...Even if he is on the other side of the states. 2nd would be growing up struggling with my English grammar and being in recourse classes for the most part of my early education, clear through high school. I never thought I would be smart enough, yet capable enough to get a college education. I had amazing teachers during high school who taught me that I could do anything I wanted to do if I worked hard enough for it. My father, stepmother, mother and step father were also positive and taught me that if I wanted something bad enough, I was capable of achieving it. I not only did it, but I excelled in it.  And even though my mother and step father were not able to see me graduate because they had died before they got the chance to, I graduated with my Bachelor’s from a University, with a overall GPA  of 3.75. NEVER, NEVER did I see something like that being possible....Especially because the highest GPA in high school was like a 3.0 and that was if I was lucky. Also, growing up struggling with my English skills and being able to take a Honor's English class in College and Get not only a A but write a paper so well that I was asked to publish it. So there you have it.....This is all why I do the things I do. I enjoy helping those who can't do it for themselves. It is the most amazing feeling watching someone who is learning to do for themselves what they couldn’t do before, and watching them excel at it...A feeling that will never be able to be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment